Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Kitten Shot Out of the Garbage

Hi Everyone,

Have you ever heard the poem "The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven" by Jack Prelutsky? Well, as I was getting out of class about 15 minutes ago, I heard a rustling noise in the garbage can. Now in Seattle, that means there's a squirrel in the trash, or possibly a rat or a crow. I approached this Oakland trash can quietly, stealthily. I've seen one squirrel on campus here, but that was it, so I didn't think it was a squirrel. Maybe a raccoon? No. It COULD have been a skunk, we've had a few on campus, but I'm sure I would have smelled it before I heard it. As I got closer, a kitten hurled itself out of the trash can and sprinted off into the bushes. I tried to look for it, but it was gone so quickly that it didn't leave a trace. Bummer. I wanted to pet it! The animals that I see the most around here are birds, the majority are humming birds, which is kinda cool. I also saw one of those teeny tiny lizards today. So cute!

Cheers!
Chelsea

ETA: I thought you'd all like the read the poem. It's pretty awesome.


The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven
By Jack Prelutsky
From It’s Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky
The turkey shot out of the oven
and rocketed into the air,
it knocked every plate off the table
and partly demolished a chair.
It ricocheted into a corner
and burst with a deafening boom,
then splattered all over the kitchen,
completely obscuring the room.
It stuck to the walls and the windows,
it totally coated the floor,
there was turkey attached to the ceiling,
where there’d never been turkey before.
It blanketed every appliance,
it smeared every saucer and bowl,
there wasn’t a way I could stop it,
that turkey was out of control.
I scraped and I scrubbed with displeasure,
and thought with chagrin as I mopped,
that I’d never again stuff a turkey
with popcorn that hadn’t been popped.

1 comment: